The Map Shop is proud to be the only authorized seller of the Peters Projection map in North America. The Peters Projection map depicts countries in correct sizes in relative to each other. Our updated version is revised with a more cohesive color scheme and includes more up-to-date labeling of countries, cities, and bodies of water than previous Gall-Peters Projection equal area maps. This beautiful, easy-to-read, multi-colored map is printed with high-quality inks on archival paper and is a perfect way to enjoy the accurate geography of the world.
- ONLY UPDATED PETERS PROJECTION WORLD MAP – Unlike other out-of-date Peters Projection style maps, our updated Peters World Map not only presents the continents in their true proportion to one another but it also has the most accurate labeling of countries, cities and bodies of water you can find.
- CULTURALLY-EQUITABLE WORLD MAP – This post-colonial map of the world has become the preferred map of UNESCO, aid agencies, schools and businesses. The Peters Projection Map depicts all countries’ land area accurately when compared to each other, resulting in a less culturally and politically biased map.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS – Printed with high-quality inks and finished with a 1.7 mil satin-finish lamination on both sides. This laminated version of our up-to-date Peters Projection World Map is waterproof, fade resistant, and dry-erasable. Paper and laminated versions arrives rolled (not folded) in a protective tube.
- AESTHETIC AND EDUCATIONAL – This World Map comes in a multi-colored design that groups countries in each continent within the same color family, but varies the shades of color between countries for easy delineation and identification. The result is a beautiful map that is tastefully colorful as well as educational.
- SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESS – Printed, finished, and shipped by a family-owned small business in Charlotte, NC.
Publisher: Huber Verlag / Map Shop
Last Updated: 2021
Traditional map projections (Mercator is the most popular example) normally depict countries incorrectly in proportion to one another, exaggerating the size of countries near the poles. Schools across the country often have maps on their walls that clearly show that Greenland is about the same size as Africa. Would it surprise you that Africa’s area is actually 14 times the size of Greenland? This is just one example of how using an improper map projection can be misleading.
Mercator isn’t a liar though, his projection was simply created for a different purpose. Gerardus Mercator designed his projection in the 16th century for navigational use. Any straight line on a Mercator projection map can be used as a bearing to plot a course. Unfortunately, this map was adopted, inappropriately, for use as a world reference map. Other popular alternative projections like the Robinson, Van der Grinten, or Eckert IV projections, still do not preserve equal area.
The Peters Projection map is the work of the German historian Arno Peters and provides a helpful corrective to the distortions of traditional maps. While the Peters projection map is superior in its portrayal of proportions and sizes, its importance goes far beyond questions of cartographic accuracy – it challenges our view of the world.
Watch the famous West Wing scene about the Peters Projection below:
Most wall maps are offered in a variety of finishing options designed to reach all price ranges. If you need a map that’s ready to hang on the wall, we can frame or martin mount your map to save you time and money. Here are the details, contact us with any questions you might have!
Paper Paper finishing is the most economical option. Most maps are printed on premium 36lb paper. Waterproof paper is also available for functional maps that may be used outdoors.
laminated Paper maps are printed then run through our laminator that secures 1.7mil-thick satin-gloss-finished lamination on the front and back. Use map stickers and wet-erase markers on your map.
mounted Paper maps are printed then laminated with 1.7mil-thick satin lamination onto 1/4″-thick foamcore. You can use map pins, stickers, or wet-erase markers with our mounted maps.
Rails First, we laminate the map then we mount wood rails at the top and bottom of the map. The front side of each rail is finished with a black or walnut finish. The sides and back are unfinished. Sawtooth hardware is fixed to the back of the top rail, so it’s ready to hang. Use stickers or wet-erase markers on your map.
Martin Mount First, we laminate the map onto foamcore then we mount wood rails at the top and bottom of the map. The front side of each rail is finished with a black or walnut finish. The sides and back are unfinished. Sawtooth hardware is fixed to the back of the top rail. Use map pins, stickers, or wet-erase markers on your maps.
Framed Maps are laminated onto foam core then secured into the frame. The engineered molding is made from recycled wood in either a black or walnut-finish. Most map moldings are 2″ x 3/4″ but maps 24″ x 36″ and under use a 1.25″ wide molding. You can use map pins, stickers, or wet-erase markers on all our framed maps.